At the end of your Turbo Tax refund you have the option of deducting your Turbo Tax charge direclty from your expected tax return amount. Using this option will result in a charge of a $29.95 Processing Fee. The fee is charged for processing and paid to University National Bank of Saint Paul, MN. Really, this option is only for those who do not have a credit card. Not explained well by Turbo Tax it seems like you have no other way to avoid this fee and when you have thousands of dollars to be returned to you than likely you will just accept and move along.

To simply avoid this fee use your credit card to pay for your Turbo Tax Return.  Charging your credit card or using the deduction method processing fee has no bearing on the time frame your tax return is filed or paid to you. Don't give up another $30 dollars for this feature, if you have a credit card I recommend using it.

Turbo Tax is a very user friendly easy to use Tax return site. Guaranteed 100% reviews and 350 tax deductions at your finger tips make this a number one choice to handle your taxes.

For complete information please read:

20 comments

1. Fat loss Nutrition and Fitness // December 20, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Taking on the task of filing your return by yourself can be overwhelming if you have never done this before. It is very easy to make costly mistakes and miss very common federal tax deductions if you are unfamiliar with federal filing rules.

2. Anonymous // February 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Thank you!!! I was wondering why that fee was charged since I though turbotax mentioned they did not apply a fee for having your refund direct deposited. I will use your tips immediately.:)

3. carrie. // February 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Or, better yet, use TaxAct - it costs only 18 dollars to file (and that's using the deluxe version).

4. Anonymous // February 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I have been using TurboTax for 7 years but will never use their products again. After entering my tax info and seeing a refund due, I opted for 'audit defense', which was an additional $40. Instead of paying for it with a credit card, I decided to use the option to deduct it from my refund. BIG MISTAKE, I guess I didn't see the fine print that must state that I will be charged an additional $30 for processing by "University National Bank". WOW, after giving them business for buying an additional service (pure profit , since I won't be audited), they reward me by spanking me with another $30 fee. And for what?? To deduct $40 from my refund???!!! I could train a monkey to do that for a nice ripe banana. LOL

Stay away from TURDOTAX !!!???!!!!

5. Anonymous // March 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I was upset. I used Turbo Tax to do my tax return for 2011 and decided to do e-file. My state refund had no problem but there was a problem for my Federal return. I got an email from University National Bank saying that I should receive my refund in one to two days. After the 4th day, I did not get my refund so I call University National Bank at (800) 717 - 7228 and no body answer. Only machine answered. On the 5th day, University National Bank sent me my refund and charge me $29.95 for account handling fee and $20 for reprocessing fee. Turbo Tax did not say anything about these fees when I did my return. The only fees I saw when I did my return were $19.95 (state return) and the 39.95 (audit defend). University National Bank took out a total of $109.85 from my refund.

STAY AWAY FROM TURBO TAX REFUND PROCESSING FEE!!!

6. jenn // March 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM

TurboTax is definitely a ripoff. Im glad I lagged to do my taxes because it gave me additional time to find a more trustworty online tax filing company that charges absolutely nothing for State Federal and Refund fees. try h&r block - i just filed my taxes with them for free.

7. Anonymous // February 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Thats funny, family members of mine used h&r block last year and were charged almost 200.00 to do their taxes, and they had nothing. Simple easy file

8. skitch // April 16, 2013 at 5:58 AM

What appears to be much worse is that once you do your research and find out what this fee is, there is no way to switch it to using a credit card when you hit the back button.

9. Anonymous // February 22, 2014 at 9:22 AM

No warning about the $29.95 charge until its too late. No way to go back and change to "charge my credit card". That's a classic ripoff. I've used Turbo Tax for years and trusted them fully. No more!

10. Gerry // April 1, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Thank goodness...I was able to go back and change...These people are unbelieveable...

11. Matt and Shay Osugi Carroll // April 3, 2016 at 9:23 PM

TurbtoTax is very scammy. If you know exactly how their scam works, you can minimize your cost and it's an OK product. It'll handle your taxes. The big variable is the cost. The last time I used them ... after almost a decade of Using TurboTax, they added on extra fee after extra fee at each stage of the process until the cost grew from 55 to 150 for me. I was willing to waste up to $120 on the convenience, but the last $30 was tacked on in a particularly sneaky way and that was the last straw for me. I read everything - I caught the fee and did not agree to it, instead opting to cancel the process literally a few clicks from completion, out of disgust with how they tried to hide that last $30 fee. Instead of paying them $150, I spent a few hours doing it manually.

12. happykat Ylbidao // June 6, 2016 at 8:36 PM

It's very great to see your post!I like it .I'm looking forward to you in the next post.Thank you .There is a sd card recovery for mac activation code to you.

13. chansara // December 24, 2016 at 11:12 PM

Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. Fresh start IRS

14. Anonymous // February 14, 2017 at 8:46 AM

There is a summary screen, and have an option to go back and choose a different option. Yes, the processing fee is a rip off, and I feel sorry for those that have been duped into paying it. I almost was, but thankfully I was paying attention before I clicked the button. That is pretty shifty of TT to do that. Why would anyone pay $35 bucks to pay a $20 filing fee? That is a complete rip off! The answer is people only pay it because it is added at the last screen, and many don't pay attenting. I tried H & R block...they wanted to charge me over $500 to do my taxes - to sit and enter information I am perfectly capable of entering. TT costs appx. $80 for the version I use...well worth it.

15. Ryan Vaal // February 21, 2017 at 1:07 AM

Thank you for bringing this up! I am so glad i found this post im tired of being ripped off and will probably use anyone but turbo tax next year for taxes because of this.

16. Berly Derisse // April 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM

Turbo tax, took all my return fund. My federal tax fund is 345, turbo tax to deposit only 47 dollars on my bank acct. Bad experience with them. I have learned to not continue to you thier app to do my income taxikanodeaztlan@gmail.com return next year.they are liars. They sayou it's free and eventually that a lie. I urge everyone whom doing thier tax return do not continue to file out 1040 form with turbo tax.

17. Berly Derisse // April 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM

18. Anonymous // February 19, 2018 at 4:13 PM

I understand how yal feel but think of it this way if you went to tax office they charge 400+ just to file your taxes i would rather pay a 100 and something instead of 400

19. TheTruth // April 10, 2018 at 5:50 PM

There should be an congressional hearing on this to totally understand the confusion for profit scheme that’s happening on an epic scale (several million users).....

20. TheTruth // April 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM

There should be a congressional hearing on this confusion for profit scheme. The Turbo Tax Fee is actually the add on (Audit Insurance) you decided to take for your return. The Refund Processing Fee (bank) has to take your actual refund, deduct the add on (Audit Insurance Fee), then send you the balance. So yes, pay for any add on (Audit Insurance) with a personal credit card, to avoid engaging the middleman (Refund Processing Fee bank).